Today is a day of reflection for me. One year ago this morning, I was standing at my Dad's bedside when he took his last breath and went to be with Jesus. It was amazing. I knew at that moment, that my Dad was no longer in his body, but was with the Lord. At that moment, all the things my mother and dad had taught me about faith and eternity became as real as they could for me here on earth. There are many things I don't have certainty on. Did he see Mother immediately? Did he visit with Jesus right away? Can he see me, today? I love imagining him with my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and even with little grandchildren that were lost by miscarriage. But, I don't know the full picture of those things. What I do know without any wavering, is that at that moment, my Dad was with the Lord, and still is today!
Empty spaces have been obvious this year. There have been moments when I have wanted to go see Dad, or call him, or to ask my brother how he was. Historical facts of the family can't be answered any longer by someone who lived them. My parent's generation is gone, and by the natural flow of life, we are now the oldest generation living in our family. That overwhelms me.
My prayer is that the legacy we carry on and leave will be one of honor and faith as it was with my parents. I want to be wise and live with an open hand, open heart like they did. My love for the Word is an outpouring of hearing my dad read it. His big farmer hands maneuvered their way through the thin shuffling pages of his Bible and always landed at just the right passage for the moment. The countless chapters and verses he quoted from memory still have a melody in my mind.
Empty spaces have been obvious this year. There have been moments when I have wanted to go see Dad, or call him, or to ask my brother how he was. Historical facts of the family can't be answered any longer by someone who lived them. My parent's generation is gone, and by the natural flow of life, we are now the oldest generation living in our family. That overwhelms me.
My prayer is that the legacy we carry on and leave will be one of honor and faith as it was with my parents. I want to be wise and live with an open hand, open heart like they did. My love for the Word is an outpouring of hearing my dad read it. His big farmer hands maneuvered their way through the thin shuffling pages of his Bible and always landed at just the right passage for the moment. The countless chapters and verses he quoted from memory still have a melody in my mind.
Stay-put-ed-ness is the word that is sticking with me this day. Synonyms for my made-up word are contentment and faithfulness. Dad and Mom were rock solid and stable. They exemplified stay-put-ed-ness in the land they farmed, the house they lived in, the marriage they were committed to for 62 years, the church they were leaders in, the friends they walked out life with, the young men they impacted by bringing them into our home, the children they prepared for life, and the grand and great grandchildren they prayed for. My desire is to be content, live with stay-put-ed-ness enough to be solid, yet open and movable enough to impact change. They modeled both.
In memory of my parents and their life, read the words to "Find us Faithful" by Steve Green. I can't find the song to download as I write this, but hopefully you will remember the tune as you read the words below.
In memory of my parents and their life, read the words to "Find us Faithful" by Steve Green. I can't find the song to download as I write this, but hopefully you will remember the tune as you read the words below.
We're pilgrims on the journey
Of the narrow road
And those who've gone before us line the way
Of the narrow road
And those who've gone before us line the way
Cheering on the faithful, encouraging the weary
Their lives a stirring testament to God's sustaining grace
Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
Let us run the race not only for the prize
But as those who've gone before us
Let us leave to those behind us
The heritage of faithfulness passed on through godly lives
Chorus:
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave
Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
After all our hopes and dreams have come and gone
And our children sift though all we've left behind
May the clues that they discover and the memories they uncover
Become the light that leads them to the road we each must find.
Thank you Dad and Mom for the big shoes you leave us to fill! I accept the challenge and hope I will find strength as you did by faith, discipline and love!
My heart immediately constricted and tears came to my eyes at the title of your post and then as I read the first sentence.
ReplyDeleteMy how I've missed Grandpa this year as I've given birth to a great-grandaughter who bears his mother's and his wife's name...I've wanted to share that joy with him for years as I've dreamed about using these names for so long.
What a day today to remember Grandpa and that solid presence that was in my life for 30 1/2 years. Actually that solid presence is still there, and always will be.
What a sweet and honoring testimony of the blessing of your family heritage. Thank you for sharing and letting us be a part of your story.
ReplyDeletei found you! can't wait to follow you along your journey :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts on what had to be a difficult day. We miss Ralph and Anna Mae so much, but know we'll have a reunion with them in heaven one day.
ReplyDeleteWow, that elephant on the truck was amazing! I wish I could have been there to hear the huge fun and laughter! So glad you are having a great time. You all should be sleeping about now!
ReplyDeleteDonnie