School started this week in many parts of Georgia. Among the thousands of Dixie-land students who have or will be squeezing through metal door frames, over thresholds and onto shiny waxed floors, I know of 140 sixth grade students in particular, who have an amazing year ahead of them. Many of these 140 are from broken homes, don't know who their daddy is, let alone who their grandpas are.
There is one amazing, balding white-haired man who made a decision nine years ago to begin the journey of becoming a role model for these 140. After 30 years of working in the field of production and production management, the desire to teach children caused this man to engage in a new chapter of life. Beginning college in 2000 and continuing through his master's degree, my "Mr. Bergen" now begins his sixth year of teaching. He is modeling to these children that learning is a privilege, offering them the satisfaction of accomplishment. I am so proud of this man; my husband!
Kyle's commitment to these kids is making an impact on generations to come, one child at a time. This year's Social Studies students will not all grasp what is offered them about our world and about life. For those who wrap their minds and hearts around what is opened up to them, I am excited. I cheer them on to a brighter tomorrow.
In 1963, this young 6th grader, fishing along the banks of the Black Hawk Creek, was asked to pose for the Waterloo Daily Courier front page. Pretty cute, huh?!
I love you, Kyle - you are my hero!
-
-
Love this, Betty!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am teary reading this...love it!
ReplyDelete