Thursday, April 7, 2011

More.

I want More. Better. Different. Larger. Prettier. Newer. Fresher. Shinier. Easier. Sweeter.

Where there are people there is a m.o.r.e. mindset in our society. And I don't think it is anything new. People have always wanted more. Sometimes I am one of those people. I have been less than satisfied. I have thought it would be nice to have it different.

Recently, two Holsteins came to live on our back acre. We have been removing trees, planting grass, liming and re-liming, fertilizing and re-fertilizing for a year. Kyle spent a few months putting up fence, one or two sections at a time until the job was done. (good topic for another post.)

Finally the cows joined us last month. A brown Holstein and a black Holstein. Stew and Chuck, respectively. Not named for where they have been, but for where......well you get it.

Stew and Chuck came from a dirt patch where all their food came from a trough or a bale. Now they are in the most glorious place. Perfect lush moist grass that reaches past their bellies. Each day they also get grain and have access to abundant water.

But when feeding time comes, Stew is never content with his own bucket. He starts his, then gradually pushes Chuck out of the way and is eating Chuck's food. Chuck then walks around the back of Stew, resigned to eat Stew's food. Until Stew realizes it. Of course Stew pushes Chuck away again. And on they cycle goes.

Seriously? Stew, come on, you have lush grass and water, you have abundant space, you are surrounded by new fences and you live on a mountain with a glorious view.

Step back. Take it all in. You have all you need. And more.


As Stew continues to have issues with not being satisfied, I hope I can see some of my 'wants' as unnecessary when compared with all that God has planned for and has consistently provided for me. Oh my, He gives me such lush grass and in abundance. I want to be content in what He gives me. In Him.


"Contentment is possible only as we cultivate and maintain that attitude of accepting everything that enters our lives as coming from the Hand of Him that is too wise to err and too loving to cause one of his children a needless tear." -A.W. Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment