In 1985 we transferred all our earthy possessions from Iowa to Georgia. Crossing the five state lines, Kyle was behind the wheel of our bulging Ryder truck that towed our hillbilly packed pick-up truck, and I drove the yellow Buick station wagon with bedding and toys stuffed tight from roof to window to seat! In the midst of it all were two drugged dogs and four precious trusting children. We knew we would miss so many things in Iowa, of greatest loss was the relationships we held so close to our hearts.
What I did not calculate missing were two things that had been foundational in my mid-western life. Lilac bushes and RHUBARB! Spring of 1986 brought heartbreaking reality when no one had either one in their yard and I couldn't find any in the local farmer's market. My solution was to buy plants from Iowa and start my own lush lilac bushes and hearty rhubarb plants. To make the long story short, after several years of attempts, the verdict was clear. Neither one will grow without a deep freeze in the winter. My spring staples of rhubarb crisp, rhubarb pie and rhubarb jam all served at a table with a lilac-filled pitcher were to be no more.
For years, my mother cut up rhubarb and froze it and brought it down to me in the fall. I used the last package of her loving care a couple years ago. But since mother died, I have not had the storehouse of rhubarb to enjoy. Until this spring. It is now in the freezer section of the grocery store. Ahhhh...not quite as good as fresh, but so good to our family. I grab the South Waterloo Church of the Brethren cookbook, find Merna Miller's recipe and make the bubbly crisp. Add ice cream, and we are back to our roots in minutes!
Tonight, Mike and Judy were visiting, and since rhubarb is not available in Thailand, I made some for our dessert. Mmmm.....it smelled so good baking, and I just had to nibble a few spoonfuls out of the corner while it was piping hot!
Do you have a rhubarb memory?
YES! My rhubarb memory involves Texas Pete and Luzianne tea...none of which can be found in California. I actually order Texas Pete offline or I grab a few too many at my local CFA (shhhh, don't tell.) And any time anyone I know is flying west I have them pack a box of Luzianne tea with them! People usually think it's a strange request, but hey, I've got to have my southern tea!
ReplyDeleteI remember having some of Grandma's rhubarb in my freezer too. My neighbors have some growing in their backyard. The plants always seem to outgrow their boundaries and spread to the alley. Each spring, when I see them, I think of Grandma.
ReplyDeleteMy memories of rhubarb are of Iowa, our garden there, and my mother-in-law. I use her recipe for Rhubarb Crisp and can almost smell it right this minute. Nothing like a bowl of it hot from the oven, with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Yum! Our local grocery stores do carry it fresh and I haven't tried growing it myself. Your blog has put the thought of trying to grow it next year.
ReplyDeleteMmmmm, as I read your post I can taste the yummy rhubarb from Sunday evening. So yummy!
ReplyDeleteI have some bags of rhubarb in my freezer...loved this blog of yours!!
ReplyDeleteHeather Waldorf